Friday, December 11, 2009

Almost There

It has been 5 days and 12 hours since my last piece of candy. It has been harder than anticipated, and I have had a zillion pieces of mint gum (no this does not count as candy because I really don't like gum, just Skittles). My best guess is that I normally eat at least 20 pieces of candy a day. No, I don't eat 20 Snickers, but I could easily consume dozens of Gobstoppers, Starbursts, etc.

Although it has been challenging to break this habit, it has been rewarding (and I plan to continue it). When I want to reach for the Smarties, I think surely I can go without when there are millions of people going without food and water for days on end. I love to experience wanting and not having.

I recommend we all fast on a regular basis. It certainly helps remind me how great life is, and how very much we have. That said I plan on having a plate full of sugar for breakfast.