Sunday, December 6, 2009

Going Without



Having recently read, The Hole in the Gospel, I feel challenged to remind myself how much we have. For me, a great way to recognize our abundance is to go without the things I love. I thoroughly enjoy the process of stretching myself to live differently, even if, it is for a short period of time.

It is too easy to believe we don't have enough because there is always someone who has more stuff. We forget that we have more than 95% of the world. We have fresh water and food, clothes in abundance, free education, too many toys and books, and freedom we don't really understand.

This week, for just 7 days, I am going to go without candy and web-surfing. Yes, in light of all the people who go without fresh water on a daily basis, candy and the Internet seem trivial. However, these are two things in which I love to indulge.

My making this commitment, I already feel freer to explore those things I believe have greater value than Starburst, Butterfingers and Yahoo.