Monday, March 28, 2011

What Does RAD Look Like?

RAD - Reactive Attachment Disorder
RADish - One with RAD


Alexa is our littlest Radish.  When I read other blogs, I wonder what RAD looks like in others' children.  I wonder if their Rage is similar to ours?  I wonder if how other's children behave in the middle of the 'acting out', or in our case 'acting in'?


Our RADish shuts down.  She controls her environment by doing nothing, saying nothing, responding to nothing - ALL DAY LONG.  She refuses to engage in ANYTHING!!!  She expresses nothing.  She becomes a very strong willed brick wall.


Here is what it looks like - this is me trying to get Alexa to smile back at me.  She does not.  


On days like yesterday, I find hope, in knowing others (like this family) have walked this path, and reached the summit.  Occasionally, we see the summit, but we know we have a long way to go.