Thursday, January 30, 2014

Time to Say Goodbye

Duchess was part of our family for 17 years.

Yesterday, we said goodbye.

This poem, written by Jean Foster, from the dog's perspective says it best:

I was Young
I ran like the wind and
The world glistened, fresh and new
With each season,
Colorful leaves raced across the lawn,
Crisp and elusive.
Snowflakes danced in howling winds,
But winter posed no threat.
I was young!
Each season blended into the next,
And each displayed its beauty.
The years passed.
Your joys were mine, as were your sorrows;
Our love grew in understanding and I served you faithfully.
Now, out of your love for me
I ask your courage.
I am old!
My sight has dimmed.
I no longer greet each season with joy.
I cannot run and my body knows pain.
So have the wisdom, dear friend, out of love,
To bid me farewell
And send me on my way with dignity.
And cherish each day that we shared,
For they are eternity.

She couldn't see, she couldn't hear, she couldn't wag her tail.

She was confused, uncomfortable, and lifeless.

We had already lost our girl, it was time to let her go.

Goodbye Doochie.